This year the kids are beginning to “get” holidays and I just love it! So I decided to make us an Advent Calendar that can be reused every year.
In each pocket there are two small pieces of chocolate and a card with the day’s activity written on it. I’m really looking forward to getting the kids excited about celebrating Christmas. I’m hoping that I’ll be teaching them not only the “Santa” version of Christmas, but also the real reason for celebration- Jesus’ birth. I’ve tried to incorporate some activities for both aspects of the holiday.
Here are the activities I’ve selected. They may not stay in this order, depending on what other things are going on with us on particular days and what N’s schedule for work ends up looking like.
- Read What is Christmas?
- Set up Nativity
- Write a letter to Santa.
- Sign up for Angel Tree.
- Decorate the house!
- Set up the tree and make a paper garland.
- Have Christmas cookies with friends.
- Make ornaments to give to friends and put on our tree.
- Make a gift for Daddy.
- Take Christmas Pictures.
- Visit Back to Bethlehem at church.
- Watch a Christmas movie and drink hot cocoa.
- Bake cookies and treats to give to neighbors and friends.
- Pay a visit to Santa.
- Clean out and donate toys.
- Wrap presents.
- Make cards for family and friends.
- Make a Christmas video.
- Make Gingerbread Houses.
- Look at Christmas lights.
- Make footprint Reindeer.
- Wear new PJs.
- Make Reindeer food.
- Read Twas the Night Before Christmas.
I hope to post about our experiences each day if I have time. I can’t wait to get started!
I’m linking this post to It’s Play Time!