All is well!

(First of all, I have to apologize for not getting this posted yesterday. I started it, but got interrupted several times and finally had to leave for a meeting and didn’t get a chance to finish until this morning.)

Boy has it been a long day! I woke up at 4:30, showered, then double checked the bags I packed while N took his shower. At 5:30 I entered the babies’ room and (luckily) only woke up Kyla, sneaking her out of the room quickly so I could change her and give her a bottle of milk before getting Lucas up. After she’d eaten about half the bottle I went to get Lucas, who really didn’t want to wake up. He kept snuggling deeper into his mattress. 😦 Once Lucas was changed and dressed we headed to the hospital.

At the hospital everything went pretty smoothly. No one even questioned Kyla being there or coming back with us (phew!). There was a little trouble getting a temp, blood pressure, and oxygen stats because he wiggled too much, but they said they’d do it when they got him sedated (I assume they did, but I didn’t see it). Around 7:15 the nurse came in and gave him some liquid Versed and Tylenol. He started acting a little goofy, like he was drunk. Then the anesthesiologist and OR nurse came to get him and carried him away (he was laughing and smiling the whole way), which broke my heart. As soon as he was gone we gave Kyla some food and played with her until Lucas returned. Which was only 20 minutes after he left.

When he returned he was whaling. We’d been told to expect this, but it was just so hard holding him and not being able to figure out what could calm him down. He alternated between me and N, neither of us being able to quiet him. 😦 At one point the nurse came in and asked if she could take Kyla out in the hall. Half of me was like “That’s fine” and the other half was saying “What?! I don’t know you!” I ended up letting her take her, and apparently she made the rounds through all the nurses in the nurses station. Someone we’d never even seen before brought her back. A little freaky, but all was well. I don’t think I’ll be letting that happen again, even if nothing happened this time. Lucas was still going nuts and finally, N grabbed the dry erase marker for the white board in the room and let him “dot, dot” on the board, which distracted him enough to calm down. Once we had him fairly calm, the nurse came in and gave us our discharge paperwork and said we could leave when we were ready. When Lucas wouldn’t give up the dry erase marker, she said we could just take it with us. We were out the door as soon as we had Lucas dressed and our stuff packed up (around 8:30).

The ride home was uneventful, for the most part. N did offer Lucas some water in a bottle at one point, which set him off crying again (he was mad there wasn’t milk in the bottle, we think). But it wasn’t too big a deal. Kyla fell asleep, but amazingly, Lucas did not. When we got home we gave Lucas a bottle and fed them both. Things were much calmer. Lucas was actually pretty goofy and silly most of the day. LOL They did go down for a nap around 10:30 and again at 2:30. Overall, the rest of the day was fairly normal.

Now I’m waiting for Lucas to suddenly start talking up a storm now that he can actually hear what we’re saying. πŸ˜‰ I’m so glad that the surgery is over with. Thank you for all the support and prayers!


Leave a comment

Filed under Communication, doctor's appts., emotions, Faith, husband, Parenting, stress, toddlers, waiting

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s