I’m BACK in the hospital. 😦 I went to work this morning, and while I was tired, I was surviving. But the area around my incision started looking more and more red and irritated, not to mention the blistery look under the dermabond. So I put a call in to Dr. D’s office and left a message for his nurse. He called me back around 11:30 and after I described it to him he said he wanted me to try and get to the office before Dr. D left (in about 45 minutes) to look at it. So I quickly gave my aide some directions, checked with my principal, grabbed a couple of slices of pizza that my traveling librarian had just picked up for our lunch, and headed out the door, fully intending to return to work after I saw Dr. D…
Alas, it was not to be. He took a look at it and said he was admitting me to the hospital. He felt I was most likely having a reaction to the dermabond and wanted to get me on IV antibiotics and have it looked at by an Infectious Disease doc before an infection had a chance to set in. Unfortunately, there were no beds available for direct admit, so I was told to go in through the ER. I decided to go by my house beforehand so I could grab some entertainment (and completely forgot about things like contact solution or glasses), then went to the ER.
I was taken back to a room in the ER immediately. N arrived soon after and the ball was rolling for all of the blood testing and whatnot. They had gotten a call from Dr. D’s office, so they were expecting me. I didn’t have to wait nearly as long as I’d anticipated for a room on the floor. IV antibiotics were started before I left the ER, so everything was pretty easily transitioned. Since I was just here, they were able to answer most of their usual questions by just looking at Monday’s answers.
Dr. D came by to talk and give us a run down of the plan. Basically, he feels like we caught this in time to prevent it from becoming a big problem. I am SO grateful he’s taking this seriously, as 3 years ago I developed an infection at the incision site of my previous ICD despite going to my doctor and the ER THREE times prior to them agreeing there was something not right. He said he would never not listen to me, which came as a huge relief. Right now we’re doing the IV antibiotics and keeping an eye on it. He wants to attempt to “cool down” the area before taking more invasive steps. He thinks he might have to cut me back open to remove all of the sutures and dermabond, clean it up, then put me back together using some other form of suture. This won’t happen until Monday. He wound up sticking around for quite awhile, joking around with us and swapping stories. At some point we talked about the fact that we were pretty sure it was just a skin reaction and he decided to give Benadryl and see if that would help.
I have never taken Benadryl, as far as I can remember. OMG, that stuff is powerful! The nurse gave me some in my IV and at first it just stung. I knew it could make people drowsy, but never expected exactly the reaction I got. Mere seconds after administration I felt very light headed and woozy. I told the nurse I felt like I do when they give you the drugs right before surgery to “relax” you. I could barely hold my head up and within minutes I was out like a light. I slept for a couple of hours and now I’m feeling better, but still have a bit of a “heavy” feeling. When the night shift nurse came in to introduce herself and do her assessment I barely opened my eyes. It wasn’t until her trip to my room bringing me my meds that I finally got a look at her!
I know some people might like the feeling I had, but I must say I’d like to avoid taking Benadryl again if I can help it. I did NOT like the sudden loss of control. 😦 While I hope it does the trick, I do not want them to administer it again.
So it looks like I’m stuck here in the hospital at least through Monday. Work was a mess as I called and tried to get everything arranged for being gone. Finally I just made the decision to close the library tomorrow. I’ll have to figure out what to do about Monday. If I get a chance tomorrow I’ll see what I can do about getting a sub. I just wish I knew if I’d be getting out Monday, or if I’ll have to be here even longer. I’m really bummed for two reasons. One, I have no days left and each day I’m out is now being docked from my pay. And two, I have projects I was working on with my students that are now being put on hold because I’m not there to work with them. 😦 I just want to be done with all this crap and get on with my life. 😦